Your good friends have just adopted a four-year-old child. At this point, the only socialization decision they have made is that the child is going to preschool. Imagine that you are an expert in your chosen field. Your friends have come to you for advice and to devise a plan to raise their child. They ask you to be frank with them and give them specific examples to support your opinions. They are determined to raise this child to the best of their ability. Since they are new parents, they need advice on everything!
The summative assignment is to develop a user-friendly PowerPoint handbook of suggestions. The handbook will demonstrate your understanding of the material by applying the major topics discussed in the course to a real situation.
The PowerPoint presentation for the Final Project must include:
- Title slide (one slide)
- Introduction of the material for the new adoptive parents (one to two slides)
- At least 15 slides summarizing each of the items listed below (one to two slides for each item). Please note that the content of each slide should appear in the notes section, while the slide itself should contain the information that would be presented to the parents.
- An image that represents each item
- Conclusion slide that clearly explains why the parents should review this material (one to two slides)
- Reference slide with at least three scholarly sources and the course text properly cited (one slide)
Writing the PowerPoint Presentation of the Final Project
- Summarize Bronfenbrenner’s ecological model and describe why it is important for them to be aware of this theory (one to two slides).
- Suggest and explain a parenting style/philosophy (authoritarian, authoritative, or permissive) that you believe will be most beneficial for the child and the family (one to two slides).
- Explain which childcare (nanny, center-based, or family-based care) option (before/during/after preschool) you think is best for the child and why (one to two slides). Be sure to include discussion of the social factors that influence the likelihood of the family selecting a particular form of childcare.
- Share specific suggestions, including at least two to implement safe technology use in the home. Explain how the media can (both positively and negatively) influence the child (one to two slides).
- Discuss the importance of culture and ethnicity in the development of the self-concept. Share your ideas of ways that the new parents can create opportunities for the child to learn about his or her culture (one to two slides).
- Describe at least two researched methods to increase the child’s self-esteem and positive attitude (one to two slides).
- Differentiate between the importance of socialization that occurs in the home and at school. Explain the importance of each venue as a positive haven for the child (one to two slides).
- Explain the importance of the teacher’s role in the child’s life. Give examples of how the school and the teacher will affect the child’s socialization (one to two slides).
- Share the importance of positive peer interactions. Give two examples for the parents to implement at home to foster friendships (one to two slides).
The PowerPoint presentation must include a minimum of 15 slides (not including the title slide and reference slide). Students are encouraged to creatively address the material and include graphics, visuals, charts, graphs, and/or sound. Slides should be designed to clearly and concisely address the material. The PowerPoint presentation must be formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Include a title slide, reference slide, and citations within the slides when appropriate. Students must use at least five scholarly sources and the course text (Bojczyk, K. E., Shriner, B. M., & Shriner, M. (2012). Supporting children’s socialization: A developmental approach. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.)
In addition to the PowerPoint presentation, students must write a two-page Reflection Paper. The reflection should include the following:
- Brief discussion of the student’s future profession and how understanding the nature of families and children in relation to society is important for that profession.
- Discussion of how the student’s knowledge of the theories of socialization will impact his or her work in the future profession.
- Discussion of how the student’s understanding of child development will assist him or her in the chosen profession.
The Reflection Paper for the Final Project must have the following criteria:
- Must be two double-spaced pages in length, not including the title page, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of Reflective Paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must be well organized and reflect college-level writing.