Directions: Please answer the following short response questions. Each question should have a 6 to 8 sentence paragraph response. Remember to support your work with APA references and in-text citations. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for concise APA guidelines.
1. Describe the basic principles of family systems therapy. In your description, be sure to define the concepts of circular causality, cybernetics, homeostasis, and feedback loops.
2. Describe two techniques of family systems therapy that correctional counselors can utilize. Also, can you think of situations in which these techniques may not be useful?
3. Describe the essence of structural family therapy. Provide an example of when this type of therapy may be particularly useful and why.
4. What is Bowenian family systems therapy? What are the central tenets of this system of therapy? How is this system different from other family system therapies?
5. Why is it important to identify and use an offender’s support system within the counseling process? Describe some of the advantages of doing so. Also, are there times where this may not be a good idea? Why or why not?
6. Discuss the concept of active listening. Why is active listening so important in the group process?
7. Discuss the importance of modeling.
8. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of group counseling. In your opinion, what is the most significant disadvantage to group counseling? How would you work to overcome this disadvantage?
9. Explain why proper preparation of all group members is so important?
10. Explain why cultural differences should be explored within the group?
PART II: CASE STUDY
Directions: Discuss your knowledge of this Module by developing a case study of an offender and his or her family dynamic that could present as a correctional counseling client. This case study should include a short background of the offender’s cultural identity, socio-economic status, and family portrait. The case study should be at least 500 words.
From this case study, implement a family system counseling approach. In 2-3 pages, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the family approach with this client. Apply group counseling techniques to your case study. Discuss the issues this offender may face based on cultural background in the group therapy setting.