Price Perception (graded)
Energizer’s Lesson in Price Perception—Value Lies in the Eye of the Beholder. Read the Marketing Matters box on page 346 in the text.
- Why didn’t Energizer capture market share from Duracell when it priced its Advanced Formula brand the same as its standard AA battery?
- Consider the example of Energizer. How do you think that customers will perceive your course project product or service? How will you consider that in your pricing strategy?
- What are the circumstances in pricing a new product that might support skimming or penetration pricing?
Flexible Pricing (graded)
Flexible Pricing—Is There Discrimination in Bargaining for a New Car? Read the Making Responsible Decisions box on page 355 in the text.
- Why would a seller choose a flexible price policy over a one price policy?
- Is price discrimination legal?
Integrated Marketing Communications
See Your Favorite Super Bowl Ads Again and Again! Read the Going Online exercise on page 462 in the text.
- Which ads are your favorites? What makes them good ads?
- Compare the ads from the same advertiser for different years. What changes do you notice?
- What message does your favorite ad convey?
Using Social Media (graded)
What are some of your favorite social networks? Read the Marketing Matters box on page 501.
- Which is your favorite social network? Why?
- How is user-generated content presented by someone using Facebook?
- What are some ways that brand managers use Facebook to converse with a brand’s fans?
Delivering the Goods (graded)
Amazon: Delivering the Goods . . . Millions of Times a Day. Read the Amazon case on pages 400 and 401. You may watch the video at the publisher’s website if you choose.
- How do Amazon.com’s logistics and supply chain management activities help the company create value for its customers?
- What systems did Amazon develop to improve the flow of products from suppliers to Amazon distribution centers?
- What systems improved the flow of orders from the distribution centers to customers?
Marketing Mash Up: The Four Ps Marketing Mix (graded)
Be sure to view the four Ps interactive in this week’s lecture prior to entering this discussion.
- Which option did you choose for Our Town Photography? What rationale did you use to select the option you chose?
- What changes would you recommend to the marketing mix for the Our Town Photography Premier Portrait Service?
- Comment on the following statement: There is a correct marketing mix for every product and/or service.