3. Think about this rather surprising statement: It has been suggested that Olaudah Equiano may not have been born in Africa, but in South Carolina. If this were true, does his birthplace change the way we read and evaluate this memoir? Does this possibility affect its viability or reliability as a source on slavery and the slave trade?
ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS: Your submissions must be in proper MLA formatting. Essay One requires 1,000 words (plus 10%). Please do not exceed the maximum word count by more than 10% and do not go under. Academic writing requires discipline and the ability to edit one’s thoughts and ideas. Maintaining the word count will help with this skill.
– In the upper left-hand corner of the paper, place your name, the professor’s name, the course name, and the due date for the assignment on consecutive lines.
– Double space the entire paper, starting with the heading. Do not add any extra spaces, and do not use single spacing anywhere in the paper.
– All papers should be in 12 point Times New Roman regular black font.
– Use one-inch margins (usually the default margin settings) top, bottom, left, and right.
– All paragraph indentations should be one tab (one-half inch) from the left margin.
– All work is to be left justified, except for the title and the heading on the Works Cited page, both of which should be centered.
– When referring to works of literature, the source must be quoted or paraphrased to support the writer’s assertions.
– When quoting or paraphrasing lines in literature, follow the proper way to cite short stories, plays, or poems.
– Refer to the Tutorial and Student Studies Center in the APUS library for further information about MLA formatting and style.
NOTE: Do not write in first or second person narrative voice. Always write in third person narrative voice.