Write a 3- to 4-page paper, answering some of the following questions:
· Why was CEO Steve Jobs considered to be a (the) best leader of the decade by Fortune Magazine? Using what you have learned in this module on the functions of leadership, define Jobs’s leadership style and analyze how he fulfilled the functions of leadership during his tenure.
Note: Fortune articles are in EBSCO.
Burrows, P., Grover, R., & Green, H. (2006). Steve Jobs’ Magic Kingdom. New York.Business Week, February 6, 2006, Issue 3970, page 62, retrieved on November 10, 2010, at:http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_06/b3970001.htm.
David, Leonard. (2010). Commentary: The Last Pitchamn. Business Week on line, June 10, 2010, retrieved November 10, 2010, at:http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_25/b4183004440240.htm
Koehn, Nancy F.. Fortune, 11/23/2009, Vol. 160 Issue 10, p110-114, 4p, 1 Color Photograph, 1 Black and White Photograph; (AN 45693823). Retrieved from library data base.
Gomes, Lee (2010).COMPUTERS GET A SECOND ACT. Forbes, 00156914, 5/10/2010, Vol. 185, Issue 8. Retrieved from library data base.
· Read the Background materials in depth.
· Identify key concepts (leadership functions and leadership styles), make a list of them, and study them.
· Read the case in Business Week in-depth.
· Do additional research on your own, such as the company website or other recent articles aboutSteve Job.
· Identify facts in the case that match concepts of leadership (functions and styles) and integrate them.
· The main functions of leadership are establishing a vision, communicating the vision, motivating, an being a change agent: Steve Jobs is well-known for mastering all these functions of management.
· Some of the current leadership theories are charismatic, visionary, transformational versus transactional. Please read the presentation on styles of leadership. Steve Jobs is a great visionary, a transformational leader, and a charismatic leader.
· Apply these concepts to facts in the case in order to develop your arguments, in other words analyze how Jobs fulfills his functions using the article facts and research facts; based on his accomplishments, what styles do characterize his leadership.
· Please make sure to have an Introduction, 2 Main Sections 1) Functions; 2) Leadership Styles. Each section should have subsections. Finish with the conclusions.
In order to developgood business communication skills, it is recommended you write papers using the following structure, using headlines and titles.
Introduction(road map, explain main issue and list and main points)
Main Body: Develop each point in the Introduction, applying theory to facts, in subsections (one subsection per main point).
In this case, I recommend 2 major subsections: Functions and Style. Each subsection should have several further subsections. For example, for functions: vision, communication, motivation, being a change agent. For style visionary, transformational, etc.
Conclusions: Summarize main paper points
List of references.
Cite Your Sources
SLP Assignment Expectations
In this section of the Session Long Project, write a 2- to 3-page paper about one of your current or former leaders.
Please do not write about yourself, even if you are a CEO or leader.
Please analyze, using background materials, leadership styles and her/his way of fulfilling functions of management. Key concepts to be addressed are:
· Did he/she empower their employees?
· Was he/she authoritarian?
· Was the leader transformational or transactional, or both?
· How does the leader fulfill her/his functions?
· What is the vision the leader created for the company or organization you selected?
· How did he/she motivate the workforce?
· How did he/she communicate the vision?
· Was the leader a change agent?
Please use the Paper Format, for all SLPS.