11. Sophia lives several blocks from her parents in the same residential subdivision. Sophia is surprised to learn that her ad valorem property taxes for the year were raised, while those of her parents were lowered. What is a possible explanation for the difference?
12. LO.4 The Morgan family lives in Massachusetts. They moor their sailboat in Rhode Island. What might be a plausible reason for the possible inconvenience?
13. LO.4 Is the breadth and number of Federal excise taxes increasing or decreasing? Explain.
14. LO.4 After his first business trip to a major city, Herman is alarmed when he reviews his credit card receipts. Both the hotel bill and the car rental charge are in excess of the price he was quoted. Was Herman overcharged, or is there an explanation for the excess amounts?
15. LO.4 What is the difference between an excise tax and a general sales tax?
a. Do all states impose a general sales tax?
b. Does the Federal government impose a general sales tax?
16. LO.4 The Grays live in Clay County, which is adjacent to Jackson County. Although the retail stores in both counties are comparable, the Grays usually drive a few extra miles to shop in Jackson County. As to why the Grays might do this, consider the following:
a. Clay County is in a different state than Jackson County.
b. Clay County and Jackson County are in the same state.