• why the main idea is important
• what the Three-Step Method is for identifying the main idea.
Watch the video and do the On Your Own Exercise #4. (It’s in Doc Sharing/Week 5)
In your e-book,
Read page 588, What is a Main Idea (It’s at the bottom of the page.) Also read, Identifying the topic and tell me:
• What’s the question you need to ask yourself to find the topic?
• Do Exercise 1, Identifying the Topic of a Sentence
Read page 592, Identifying the Controlling Idea and tell me:
• What’s the question you need to ask yourself to help you identify the controlling thought or the author’s focus?
• Do Exercise 2, Identifying the Controlling Idea of a Paragraph.
Read page 593, Understanding Stated Main Ideas.
• Do Exercise #4 on page 596. (Skip Exercise #3)
Read page 605, Use Your Strategies 1(It’s in the middle of the page)
• Do what they ask you to do at the beginning: Define the italicized word in each paragraph and the main idea of each paragraph. Do all 10 of them.
Read, Have a Good Night on page 607.
• Follow the instructions at the end of the essay, Use Your Strategies 2 Questions.
I hope you find these exercises useful! Of course you will eventually put your work in the Dropbox.
This section lists options that can be used to view responses.