Using West’s “Outline of the Law” and “Digest Topics,” list one of the “Seven Main Divisions of the Law” and at least one “Digest Topic” that you would use in researching the topic of res ipsa loquitur.
One of the SEVEN MAIN DIVISONS OF THE LAW: Tort
Digest Topic that you would use in researching the topic of res ipsa loquitur:____________?
1. Explain the value in following a standard form for citing authority such as that set forth in A Uniform System of Citation. (1 point)
2. Based upon what you have learned regarding proper citation format, please respond either “True” or “False” after each of the following propositions: (each correct answer is worth 1 point)
a. In citing cases, the unofficial cite should precede the official cite.
b. When citing to the United States Code, all three publications (i.e., U.S.C., U.S.C.A. and U.S.C.S.) must be set forth.
c.In citing persons who are parties to litigation, cite the person’s last name only.
d.All federal court opinions have parallel cites.
Section Three (ALWD aviable online:
ALWD is accessible online:
Using the Bluebook, ALWD or another citation guide as your resource, provide the correct abbreviation for each of the following publications:
4. West’s Supreme Court Reporter
7. United State Supreme Court Reports, Lawyer’s Edition
8. Federal Reporter, Second Series
9. West’s New York Supplement
Provide any parallel publications that exist for each of the sources listed below. Note that not all of the publications that are listed have parallel citations.
EXAMPLE: California Reports: Pacific Reporter
Colorado Court of Appeals Reports:
Restatement of the Law of Torts: