Search About Burger King company and answer these questions
:IV. Target audience
• Develop a profile of current target audience
• What segmentation strategies are useful? (demographics, psychographics, lifestyle, geographical, etc?)
• Is purchaser same as user (e.g., kids)?
• What media does target audience use?
• SWOT! (describe the Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats summaries)
V. Timing/purchase cycle
• What is brand’s purchase cycle?
Had been uploaded two examples for Sprint company’s Situation Analysis Descriptions and Possible Information Sources document
COMM 422 – Advertising Media Planning
POTENTIAL INFORMATION SOURCES FOR PROJECT
URL for ADV Research Guide – PSU Libraries:
- Simmons Choices 3 – Survey analysis and planning software that includes data from recent Simmons’ national consumer studies.
Available online (limit 24 concurrent users university-wide): http://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/researchguides/communications/advertising/admedplan.html#simmons-oneview
- Mediamark (MRI) Reporter – National consumer studies with additional demographic information by brand.
Brand/Product Category Information
- Market Share Reporter – An annual compilation of reported market share data on companies, products, and services. Print volume at library.
(Following Sources are on LIAS “E-resource list”)
- ABI/INFORM (business) – A business-oriented article database for subjects such as advertising, marketing, company information, industry trends, human resources, economic policy, health care, consumer products and services.
- LEXIS/NEXIS ACADEMIC UNIVERSE – Provides access to a wide range of news, business, legal, and reference information.
- Advertising Age (www.adage.com), Ad Week, Media Week
- Industry-specific trade publications (e.g., food & beverage, automotive, technology, etc.)
Don’t forget company websites, trade websites, etc!!! Don’t use “sales-y” language!!!
Note from Library to Advertising Faculty/Students:
I understand from the Librarians and Staff in the Social Sciences Library that the students are looking for company and Industry background information and some are trying to get this information out of Simmons data. Clearly, that isn’t going to do the trick for most of them.
The core sources for background sources and trade magazine/business articles on companies, industries and products are listed in the BACKGROUND INFORMATION section of the Advertising Media Plan Resource Guide http://extranet.libraries.psu.edu/socialsciences/adv/mediaplan.htm
I also suggest some of the following sources (see below). Links to all the online databases can be found on the Libraries web page under Databases by Title A-Z http://www.libraries.psu.edu/eres/PSU_azlist.html#azlist
Depending on their product, company, industry some of these will be more helpful than others. I suggest starting with Mintel Reports–students typically appreciate the content they find there IF their industry is covered. Reports can be very current.
Let me know if you have questions.
Focusing On Industries
- Mintel Reports (Requires user to create a user profile; follow website prompts.)
- Market research reports for the U.S. and European consumer markets
- Analysis of market drivers, trends, market forecasts, market segmentations, demographics, and consumer attitudes and purchasing behaviors
- Over 600 reports published each year
- “world’s leading information technology research and advisory company”
- Gartner Core Research Reference “gives you self-serve access to Gartner Core Research, including focus area topics, Gartner blogs, Gartner Fellows, and our legendary Magic Quadrants [Understand the relative positions of all vendors in a market] and Hype Cycles [Understand the relative maturity of technologies in a given domain].”
- “Gartner Dataquest provides a statistical picture of more than 35 major IT and telecom markets. Five-year trends are forecasted in five key markets based on extensive Gartner data gathering across the world.”
- more than 700 full-text industry reports
- more than 700 U.S. industry risk ranking reports
- information about more than 8000 publicly-traded companies
- Plunkett Research Online (Industry Information)
- Industry sector analysis and research, Industry trends and statistics
- Market research and trends
- Company profiles
- Kagan’s Media Trends
- Describes and summarizes trends in media consumption including yearly growth of broadcast and cable stations, pay TV, box office results, revenue of digital cable, media mergers, internet usage, etc., and provides a wide range of supporting data
- Covers all facets of digital media, including emerging technologies, and provides analysis for most data sets
- Consumer confidence, consumer sentiment
- Communications Industry Forecast and Report [PRINT VOLUME in Social Sciences Library]
- Reports spending projections for every major media market, including broadcast, cable, satellite television, entertainment media and consumer Internet
- Includes ranking individual companies on the basis of spending and revenue
- Reuters Research On-Demand (formerly Multex )
- Real-time full-text investment research reports
- Over 750 contributing research firms
- How to Use Tip: Use the “Search” box in the upper right of the screen and key in a company name or ticker symbol to find company-specific research. Another way to access industry information is to click on the “Properties” header and type in your keyword query (for example, video games), including date parameters and other limiting features to narrow your search. You can also key in a company name, or multiple names to generate information on those entities activities.
- Standard & Poor’s NetAdvantage
- Industry Surveys-provide current, historical, and forecasted information on 52 major U.S. industries
- The surveys provide extensive information including detailed information on current conditions, industry trends, how the industry operates, and sources for more information. Statistics are provided for major companies within each industry, as well as for the industry overall
- Company profiles and Corporation Records
- How to Use Tip: Click on “Companies” in the upper tool bar. Search either by company name or its ticker. Here you can find company information, lists of competitors, industry information and industry news. Another useful search is the “Industries” search accessed by clicking “Industries” in the upper tool bar. Choose the kind of Industry Survey in which you’re interested from the pull-down menu. To refine this search, use the additional pull-down menus under “Global Industry Surveys”.
Focusing on Companies
- Value Line –Investment advisory publication (oriented to the investor) that includes reports, articles, and company highlights for 98 industries-each one-page analysis includes information on trends and company statistics.
- Mergent Online –Information on 11,000 U.S. public companies and 17,000 non-U.S. Public companies
- Detailed, standardized financial statements
- Searchable by company name, industry codes, revenue levels, and other characteristics
- Comparative analysis among companies
- Access to SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) reports
- Hoover’s Online –Limited information on a limited number of private companies
- Includes SIC and NAICS codes
- International Directory of Company Histories [Print Volume in Business Library]
- Encyclopedia of American Business History [Print Volume in Business Library]–Includes articles on industries and companies, business concepts and trends, biographical entries, and laws on some specifically American institutions. Each entry is preceded by an introduction and followed by a brief biography and references to related articles.
Focusing on Media
Advertising Rates and Spending Data
- AdSpender [Ad$pender] (Available online, 6 concurrent users)
- Quick summary tool of multi-media advertising marketplace
- Monitors advertising expenditures and occurrence information
- Millions of brands across 18 media
- Provides data archives 1995 – current
- All media markets may not be available for all time periods
- Online training manual
- Advertising Age DataCenter
- Features “100 Leading National Advertisers” including spending data
- Requires DataCenter Subscription
- Articles provide billing/revenue information and analyses of agencies’ successes
- SRDS Media Solutions
- Media planning advertising information including circulation, advertising rates, and contact data
- Click on “Support Services”, then “Media Planning & Buying Calculators”
- Available to library users and to researchers with a Penn State Access Account