Research Paper on a Visual Artist
1. First acquaint yourself with the works of the artist you have selected. Be sure that you have selected someone you like and find interesting. It will be to your advantage to spend time making your choice.
2. The paper is to focus on the work of the artist. The artist’s time and place will influence his work, as will events in his personal life. Those aspects of his experience that affect his work should be mentioned. Personal experiences are interesting, but you should slant all the information toward its importance to his art.
3. You must have at least three sources; one must be a book.
4. You must use parenthetical notes and must have a bibliography. Be very careful to use the correct MLA format. Consult or a handbook.
5. You should form your own opinion about the artist’s work; then look at what critics have said. In your paper, you may report general critical opinion and may agree or disagree.
6. I will be glad to confer with you after class about organization and other issues you may have.
7. The paper should be 1,500 to 2,000 words in length.