Engineering Disaster Research Paper Assignment – Due March 4 @ 7am
Write an informative research paper on an Engineering Disaster of your choice
(note, however, the list of prohibited topics below). This is a formal research
paper and should follow the guidelines provided.
Your paper should include the following sections:
Table of contents, list of tables and figures
Figure 1.1 Figure 1.1 Image of the Challenger Shuttle explosion (http://images.jsc.nasa.gov, 2009. 2
- Brief description of the contents of your paper.
- Describe the events of the disaster and the events leading up to it. You do not need to include any in-depth discussion of causes.
- Basically, just give a very brief play-by-play of what happened.
1.1.2 The technology/engineering involved (use a more descriptive heading for your particular topic)
- Describe the technology involved
- Describe its manufacture, if relevant
- Describe the testing procedures, if relevant
Figure 1.1 Figure 1.1 Image of the Challenger Shuttle explosion (http://images.jsc.nasa.gov, 2009.
2. The Investigation of Disaster X
2.1 The Investigation
Describe how the accident was investigated
- Who did the investigating?
- How did they determine what happened?
E.g. A Board of Inquiry was commissioned to investigate the crash. They reviewed cockpit-ground control transcripts, reviewed the data from the black box, examined the crash site, reconstructed the airplane, tested a number of parts and materials from the original plane and a second identical intact plane, and created computer simulations of the accident.
- What caused the accident?
- Who was at fault?
- What recommendations were made by the inquiry in terms of:
- Consequences for those at fault.
- New policies for the organization
- Consequences for the technology
- Did they recommend it be redesigned or terminated
- Did they recommend new testing procedures
3. Impact on Engineering Practices
- What was learned?
- Was the technology redesigned or terminated?
- How was it redesigned?
- What is being done differently now?
- Were new standards developed?
- Was new legislation proposed or passed?
- Briefly restate the thesis:
- specific engineering practices were changed due the events of the disaster
- technology x was redesigned due the events of the disaster
- This should appear on its own separate page after your conclusion.
- It is not likely that you will have an appendix, since most of your material should fit in the text of the document.