Course: The Practice of Peace Operations/ Conflict Analysis and Resolution
This course follows Peace Operations I. Where that class focuses on the theory of peace operations THIS course focuses on their practice. This course begins with an overview of the actors and planning processes involved in organizing peace operations. It then proceeds to examine a series of key issues that confront different peace operations missions including crime, security sector reform, economic development, elections, and monitoring. These, of course, are not all the issues confronting peace operations in different parts of the world and students are encouraged to think critically about how issues in this class raise questions about the nature and theory of peace operations and what other types of activities should be considered in planning and undertaking peace operations.
1. Practical Understanding of Peace Operations: Students completing this class should have an understanding of the some of the key components of peace operations as well as the planning process that goes in to those activities.
2. Writing and Speaking on these issues: Students will gain experience writing and presenting on issues related to peace operations.
3. Teamwork on Peace Operations Issues: Students should develop skills for working in teams and taking on leadership roles around different aspects of peace operations.
There is one major group paper assignment due this semester;
1) The topic of the group project is in regards to the conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the UN mission of (MONUSCO) – Intervention Brigade. Since this is a group project, each member of the group is assigned to write a specific section of the entire paper. – See Instructions below.** It’s important that your follow the instructions***
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS ORDER:
1)For this order you are to write a an specific section of the group paper. Specifically, the section in regards to the Disarmament, Demobilization, and Reintegration (DDR), of the conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the UN mission of (MONUSCO) – Intervention Brigade. Other members of the group will collaborate with different sections of the group paper. *** See attached Group Paper. Doc.***
2)For this order, you are to write a 12-15page paper focusing ONLY on your section- the DDR regarding the conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the UN mission of (MONUSCO) – Intervention Brigade. The UN Mission, MONUSCO/the intervention brigade should be your focal point. Everything springs forth from their success, but the idea is that you build upon the success without letting it fall back into the vicious cycle.
3)The first part of the group paper, which is the History/background analysis of the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) is already established by another group member. Therefore you do not need to talk about it in your section (DDR) ***See attached Group Paper. Doc.
4)For this analysis paper- The paper is to provide a critical assessment of DDR based on the analysis of the conflict (See attached Group Paper. Doc.). In this case, as MONUSCO is already present and there is a UN envoy mediating the conflict, you would have to recommend how you would change the structure and mandate in terms of DDR in MONUSCO to make it more effective and or the mediation efforts, while also noting the challenges you would face, and how you would overcome them. You can use ideas from our course readings and be creative and push the envelope in order to provide a well written paper. **However, the most important aspect of your paper should be your critical assessment in terms of your analysis of the UN Mission within DDR. It is very important that your criticism is oriented towards Peace Operations and not just generalizing things.
5)The structure of your particular section (DDR), MUST be well balanced and critically asses successes DDR in terms of the UN Mission (MONUSCO), failures, etc.. Again, Since the history and background is already established within the first portion of the paper, your section (DDR) does not need to reiterate any information about the history/background of the conflict. Make sure you specifically write about your section, only. However it must be fit with the other sections of the entire group paper as well.
6)Also, make sure you use headings, subheadings to indicate each specific section within your paper.(i.e. Disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration, successes, challenges, recommendations etc.,etc). Remember the Conflict analysisof DDR should be your main priority
7) your paper should be structured something similar to the following in terms of DDR in MONUSCO;
• Intro – Brief context of individual issue (DDR), within your UN Mission (MONUSCO). i.e. what went wrong to warrant the UN MISSION. ½ – 1 page
• Mission context – Individual issue prior to the mission. i.e. what went wrong, what worked well, was there an operational problem vs a un program that one may have worked better than the other or none.
• **Success, Failures – do you agree, disagree with what was done? This is where your critique/ critical analysis comes into play. This section should be the bulk of your paper
• **Recommendations – your recommendations to improve the situation. i.e. what was learned, what should have been done, etc. This section should also be the bulk of your paper.
You must keep in mind that you are providing a real assessment of your section only (DDR) you cannot veer off and talk about other sections or other issues.
7) The paper MUST be well written. It should be concise, have a natural flow, precise sentence structure, smooth transitions between paragraphs, and it should be easy for readers to understand what you are writing about. **NO GRAMMAR ERRORS OR REPETITIVE SENTENCES ALLOWED.
8) I will attach all the course materials/readings necessary you need to complete the order successfully
1) APA,Times New Roman, 12point
2) NO GRAMATICAL ERRORS***
1) Use at least 15-18 different sources. If you have more the better.
2) You can use any kind of sources, however your sources should have an appropriate balance between scholarly books, primary sources, newspaper articles, etc., provide a variety of multiple sources.
3) make sure you are citing correctly through the paper using proper APA format
4) Also, make sure you provide me with an accessible link to where I can view the sources you are using or email me the links directly at email@example.com
5) Reference page/ works cited page must be formatted correctly
If you have any questions please let me know. Thank you!