- Course Text: Child, Family, School, Community: Socialization and Support
- Chapter 5, “Ecology of Nonparental Child Care” (pp. 156–170, read up to “Nonparent Child Care and Socialization”; pp. 177–181, read from “Socialization Practices as They Relate to Nonparental Child-Care Ideologies”)
- Chapter 6, “Ecology of the School” (pp. 186–187; pp. 190–195, read from “Diversity and Equity” to “Chronosystem Influences on Schools”; pp. 203–211, read from “Mesosystem Influences on Schools”)
- Chapter 7, “Ecology of Teaching” (pp. 216–234, read up to “Macrosystem Influences on Teaching”; pp. 243–246)
- Review Chapter 4 (pp. 144–149)
Resources for Action Plan 3
- Web Site: Prevent Child Abuse America
- Article: Child Welfare Information Gateway. (2008). Supporting parents and preventing child maltreatment. In D. Koralek, Caregivers of young children: Preventing and responding to child maltreatment. Retrieved from http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/usermanuals/caregive/caregiveg.cfm
- Booklet: Baker, L. L., & Cunningham, A. J. (2004). Helping children thrive: Supporting woman abuse survivors as mothers. London, Ontario: Centre for Children & Families in the Justice System. Retrieved from http://www.lfcc.on.ca/HCT_SWASM.pdf
Review the “For Service Providers” sections (see the Index for pages).
- Article: Prevent Child Abuse America. (2005). Promoting effective and nurturing parenting. Chicago, IL: Author. Retrieved from http://www.preventchildabuse.org/advocacy/downloads/child_effect_parent.pdf
- Booklet: NAEYC. (2008). Building circles, breaking cycles—Preventing child abuse and neglect: The early childhood educator’s role. Washington, DC: Author.
- Web Article: Harvard Family Research Project: Family Involvement in Early Childhood Education
- Web Article: Caring for Children of Color: The Child Care Patterns of White, Black, and Hispanic Children under 5
- Web Article: Child Abuse and Neglect Fact Sheet
- Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and between 2–3 paragraphs in length.
- Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
- Copy and paste each question within the document, so that your Instructor can see which question you are responding to.
- High-quality early childhood care and education is related to many positive outcomes for children. Review pages 156–160 in the course text. Identify three ways in which organizations such as the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and/or the National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC) work to positively impact quality child care and education. Describe one way that individual early childhood professionals can also work to positively impact the lives of young children and their families.
- Schools have a definite role the socialization process. Explain the difference between the concepts of cultural assimilation and cultural pluralism. Why is the concept of bilingual/multicultural education an example of cultural pluralism?
- Identify and explain key responsibilities of early childhood classroom teachers with regard to children who have disabilities, the IEP process, and their work in inclusive settings. Explain the role of the early childhood classroom teacher in each of these areas, identifying and explaining examples of the key responsibilities of early childhood educators.