Case: A Letter from Prison (critical essay)
Read the A Letter from Prison case study and write a 5- to 6-page paper that addresses the following:
- Richard faced many challenges at Computer Associates. How would you respond to these challenges? There are various issues you might consider. For example, you might elaborate on how serious Stephen Richards’ action was, and why.
- What personal and professional standards would guide your response to the challenges?
- If Computer Associates achieved the same financial results through GAAP flexibility, would your answers change? Why or why not?
- Is earning management always fraud and/or illegal? Consider the issues brought up in Richard’s letter, and his discussion of revenue recognition.
- In light of the questions above, what accounting practices are legal, strictly illegal, or potentially ambiguous?
Include a description of your approach to the issues and your solutions to the problems described in the case.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- 5 to 6 pages in length, not including title and reference pages
- Formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements
- Include at least 3 credible outside reference sources
Reference for this Critical Thinking Assignment:
Soltes, E. (2011).A letter from prison. HBS No. 110045. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.