1. Which of the following is considered an organizational blueprint, which prescribes the quantity and time frame for when each end product will be assembled?
WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)
MRP (Material Requirements Plan)
MPS (Master Production Schedule)
ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
2. The concept that some leadership attributes will work in some situations but not in others can be described by the
leadership effectiveness theory
3. Which of the following is a desirable strategy for managers aiming to reduce the negative consequences of rumors?
Creating a more informal communication environment at the workplace
Initiating disciplinary action against the employee who started the rumor
Encouraging employees to communicate their concerns and suggestions
Refusing to comment on issues that appear to be controversial and unfair
4. Because practical considerations make job tryouts for all candidates infeasible, it is necessary to _____________ the relative level of job performance for each candidate on the basis of available information.
5.During the implementation of a project, which of the following should be the primary focus of a consulting firm?
Application of the learning curve theory
The correct project software
People management skills
Tools and materials availability
6. Some studies indicate the best approach for transformational change may have the chief executive officer create an atmosphere for change
but carefully set limits for the program
but let others decide how to initiate change
and establish a reward system
and begin establishing a vision
7. A project can be segmented into which of the following?
8. Conflicts can be resolved by withdrawing from them or suppressing them. This conflict-management technique is known as_____________________________.
9. __________________ refers to an individual’s belief that he or she is capable of performing a task.
10._______________________ is the biggest hurdle to overcome in a pay-for performance plan.
Salary cap performance level
11. Which of the following statements is true with regard to the effectiveness of tactics?
All tactics are equally effective with regard to upward influence.
Individuals from collectivist cultures are typically more likely to use soft tactics that reflect personal power.
The combination of a soft tactic with reasonable persuasion is more effective than a combination of two hard tactics.
Soft tactics are less effective than hard tactics when used individually
12. As a university student, your institution’s social principles and practices reflect on you, as a stakeholder, in the organization. Therefore, it is your right to question how these practices should be evaluated in relation to the social issues that the school is addressing. If your university provides job-share programs, builds a day-care facility, and only uses recycled paper, it could be said to be_________.
socially image conscious
fulfilling its social obligation
13. Deming’s PDCA 9plan, do, check, and act) cycle underlies what inherent Six Sigma principle?
14. In performing a SWOT analysis, which of the following would be considered as a threat?
Lack of a strategic plan
Increased product demand
15. According to the job characteristics model, autonomy is defined as the degree to which _________.
a job has an impact on the lives or work of other people
a job provides the worker freedom, independence, and discretion
a job requires completion of a whole and identifiable piece of work
a job generates direct and clear information about performance
16. Which of the following is an element that addresses elimination of waste under lean production?
Minimized run times
Kanban production control system
Production ahead of demand
Group plant loading technology
17. An example of control criteria that can be used in any situation is _____________________.
number of calls taken per day
client requests completed per hour
average time to process paperwork
18. Active listening requires: ________________________________
interruptions to get your point across
summarizing all areas of the performance-interview feedback discussion
summarizing only the areas of agreement
verbal communications only
19. Training that results in _________________ is costly because of the cost of training ( which proved to be useless) and the cost of hampered performance.
reinforcement of training
simulation of training
applicability of training
negative transfer of training
20. In order to make their firm a learning organization, managers should?
increase the degree of departmentalization
reinforce interdependence and reduce boundaries
avoid the use of cross-functional teams
21. Which of the following is one of the Dr. Eli Goldratt’s rules of production scheduling for optimized production technology?
If you lose an hour at a bottleneck it is better than making scrap.
Do not allow bottlenecks to govern the flow of the line.
Utilization and activation of a resource are not the same.
An hour saved at a bottleneck operation does not increase the process flow
22. Which of the following is considered a major process flow structure?
23. Sam Meyers manages a telemarketing call center. He has 20 employees working for him who are displeased with the way he yells and threatens to terminate them for what they see as small issues. Which kind of power is Sam using to get the job done?
24. Which of the following is ISO 14000 primarily concerned with?
Continuous improvement management
25. In _______________, workers have been fired for refusing to quit smoking, for living with someone without being married, drinking competitor’s product, motorcycling, and other legal activities outside of work.
invasion of privacy
26. Mary arrives at her new job. Before she can begin actuall doing the work, she must complete a series of activities including role playing and virtual reality interactions. What type of training method does Mary’s new employer use?
27. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 offered what for victims of international discrimination?
monetary damages and jury trials
28. When an employee volunteers to run a canned food drive, this is an example of ____?
organizational citizenship behavior
29. Adoration of a charismatic leader by followrs can lead to _________________?
limiting suggestions of fixes and improvements
a competitive work environment
greater understanding of the company mission
difficulty in developing a successor
30. What can affirmative action assist organizations in achieving that diversity intiatives cannot?
Correcting specific problems of the past
Maximizing workforce commitment